- Measuring sustainability
- UN System activities
- Promoting excellence
Advancing the methodological framework
UNWTO works continuously on advancing the measurement of the different aspects of tourism.
At the moment, the focus is on:
Employment and Decent Work in Tourism:
– ILO-UNWTO Joint Project –
Tourism industries are largely labour intensive and provide jobs for many people. They include well trained professionals, but also a large number of workers with difficulties to find a job elsewhere, such as newcomers to the labour market (young people and migrants), women with family responsibilities who can only work part time, and workers with little qualification in general. Tourism provides working people with income and experience, and therefore contributes to their social inclusion and personal development. Read more…
A Closer Look at Tourism: Sub-national Measurement and Analysis
– INRouTe-UNWTO Collaboration –
Tourism is an economic phenomenon concerning the movement of people to places outside their usual environment for either personal or business/professional purposes. As such, tourism has implications for the economy, for the natural and built environment, for the local population at the destination and for the visitors themselves. Due to these multiple impacts, UNWTO encourages a holistic approach in the formulation and implementation of national and local tourism policies. Read more...
Governance in tourism sector
– UNWTO Project –
UNWTO’s Statistics and Tourism Satellite Account Program has developed a conceptual background for the definition of governance in the tourism sector as a first step to provide guidance about its application and adaptation in developing Tourism Information Systems that have as its basic core tourism statistics (both basic data and indicators). Read more....
Issues Papers Series
Launched by the UNWTO Statistics and Tourism Satellite Account Programme (STSA) in October 2013, the STSA Issue Papers Series aims to showcase the relevance of measuring and analyzing tourism, to disseminate the proper tools for doing so (including good practice examples), and to serve as platform that encourages the exploration of further developments in the field. The Issue Paper Series comprises three titles:
- Governance for the Tourism Sector and its Measurement
- Regional Tourism Satellite Account
- The Economic Impact of Tourism, Overview and Examples of Macroeconomic Analysis
Since the ratification of the IRTS 2008 and the TSA: RMF 2008, UNWTO’s Statistics and Tourism Satellite Programme has generated a number of papers to disseminate a better understanding of the tourism sector and its economic implications:
- Exploring the Full Economic Impact of Tourism for Policy Making - Extending the Use of the Tourism Satellite Account through Macroeconomic Analysis Tools
- Positioning Tourism in Economic Policy: Evidence and Some Proposals
- Proyecto Gobernanza para el sector turismo - Informe ejecutivo
- Case Study of the Sultanate of Oman, 2003-2007: Employing the Macroeconomic Indicators in Analysis and TSA Development.
- Coherence and consistency in tourism statistics: an overview.
During the period 2001-2006 UNWTO Statistics and Tourism Satellite Programme published the series “Enzo Paci Papers on Measuring the Economic Significance of Tourism”. This series was designed to serve as a platform for familiarizing statisticians and economic analysts interested in tourism with UNWTO’s Tourism Satellite Account (TSA) Project.